HEALTH

‘PCOS & Life style’

Mumbai: A recent study has revealed that around 10% of women in India have polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) “Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a complex metabolic, endocrine and reproductive disorder that results in overproduction of male hormones, and is associated with insulin resistance (IR). In PCOs multiple small cysts are formed in the Ovaries,” said Dr Sandhya Kadam, MD, Ayurveda.
Hormone imbalance causes problems with the regularity of woman’s periods and releasing eggs, and can also cause problems for women when trying to get pregnant. PCOS may also cause serious health concerns such as diabetes and heart disease.
“I had PCOS when I studied in Kota for 3 years. I was preparing for the different engineering entrance exams. I gained 18 Kgs in 2 years since I hardly underwent any kind of rigorous physical activity. I started having a lot of irregularities in my menstrual cycles. I skipped months many times. I also had an episode where I kept bleeding for over a month. I had to take steroids in both those cases,” said Radhika Joshi, an engineering student from BITS Pilani.
“However, when I joined a gym in the summer vacations, my menses came back on track,” added Radhika.
Radhika’s mom Dr. Archana Joshi, who is a Paediatrician, said, “Parents are not aware as to how much they should feed their children. Overfeeding children has adverse effect on children’s health.
Also, physical activity is a must for everyone. One should indulge in some form of exercise to stay fit. Healthy diet and appropriate exercise will help us in control lifestyle diseases such as PCOS.”
DR. Kadam says, “To correct imbalance in PCOS, lifestyle changes is first line therapy. Prevention of excess weight gain can be achieved by adopting dietary regimen and structured exercise as per Ayurveda and yoga guidelines. Food which is easily digestible, with high fiber, low saturated fat and low high glycemic index  carbohydrate should be consumed.”
“Consume whole grain- eg. Ragi, Shashtishaali (red rice), barley etc., green leafy vegitables-rich in minerals, vitamins and nutrients, low glycaemic index whole fruits like apples, pears, plums, prunes etc. that contain fibre, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, Dry fruits- dates, figs and raisins, should be consumed,” added Dr Kadam.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FOCUS : APRIL- 2023 K. K MUHAMMED & SINU JOSEPH THEIR RELEVANCE TO INDIAN SOCIETY

Month-in-Perspective for October 2022

Focus for October 2022